hive-user mailing list archives

From Edward Capriolo <edlinuxg...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: ‏Sequence file- custom serdes - question
Date Sun, 16 Jan 2011 20:32:32 GMT
2011/1/16 Guy Doulberg <Guy.Doulberg@conduit.com>:
> Hey all,
>
> I am new to this hive thing, but I have a very complex task to perform, I am a little
stuck. I hope someone here can help.

> My team has been storing data to a custom sequence file that has a custom key and a custom
value. We want to expose a hive interface to query this data.
> I have been trying to write a custom SerDe that deserialize  the sequence file to the
a hive table.

> As long as I needed values from the value part of the object everything was all-right,
but when I needed to extract a value from the key-part, I got stuck, suddenly I realized that
in the method of the deserialize(Writeable o), o is instance of the value class, and I don't
know how I can access the key object.

> It could be I am missing something in the configuration in the java code or declaration
 in the HIVE.

> Thanks,
> Guy

Hive ignores then Key! (I know how crazy right) What I have done is
used my InputFormat to combine the key and the value and make the
combined field the value.