hive-user mailing list archives

From Carl Steinbach <>
Subject Re: Deserializing results from ThriftHiveClient::fetch*
Date Wed, 01 Dec 2010 05:00:16 GMT
Hi Joy,

I'm not sure what you're trying to accomplish (maybe you can provide some
more details?),
but assuming that your goal is to access Hive via a C++ Thrift client, then
I strongly recommend
that you use the hiveclient wrapper code located in odbc/src/cpp instead of
messing around
with the raw code generated by the Thrift compiler. Documentation for the
C++ Hive client library
is located in the header file (odbc/src/cpp/hiveclient.h).

However, if you really do want to access the C++ Thrift API directly, then
you should look at the
implementation of the hiveclient library for examples of how to unmarshall
the results returned by

On Tue, Nov 30, 2010 at 4:51 PM, Saptarshi Guha <> wrote:

> Hello
> A few questions. Once i get the result from e.g   void
> fetchOne(std::string& _return);
> how does one parse the bytes in _return?
> Is this what getSchema is for? Do I call getSchema, figure out the column
> types
> and (somehow) deserialize? Or are there functions for to deserialize this?
> The source does say something about Thrift serialized form, so maybe there
> could
> thrift functions to deserialize the return values from fetch*.
> Once again thanks for your pointers
> Cheers
> Joy

View raw message