hive-user mailing list archives

From Edward Capriolo <>
Subject Re: Inserting Data in Hive tables.
Date Thu, 16 Sep 2010 14:07:14 GMT
On Thu, Sep 16, 2010 at 3:52 AM, Adarsh Sharma <> wrote:
> Anyway Thanks. I will find it.
> Guru Prasad wrote:
>> Hi Adarsh,
>> As far as I know there nothing like adding values or updating tables in
>> hive.
>> I am also not too old to hive....
>> so you can wait for some ans from more experienced people out here.
>> Regards
>> ~guru
>> On 09/16/2010 12:12 PM, Adarsh Sharma wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>> I am new to Hive. I followed the Hive wiki tutorial but not able to
>>> insert data individually in Hive-0.5 version.
>>> As we did in Sql by insert into table values("a",11); etc
>>> Hive loads data by files.
>>> Is there any command to insert data in it.
>>> Thanks in Advance
>> This message is intended only for the use of the addressee and may contain
>> information that is privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure
>> under applicable law. If the reader of this message is not the intended
>> recipient, or the employee or agent responsible for delivering the message
>> to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination,
>> distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you
>> have received this e-mail in error, please notify us immediately by return
>> e-mail and delete this e-mail and all attachments from your system.

You can try to find it.... but you will not. :)
You can only LOAD files into a table/partition,
or query from one table/partition and overwrite another.

There is no row level insertion in the language.

Caveat, a hive table or partition is a directory, so if add files in
the proper format to the directory the data is "APPENDED/INSERTED"
into the table

View raw message