hive-user mailing list archives

From Edward Capriolo <>
Subject Re: Virtual Columns error
Date Mon, 20 Sep 2010 16:26:03 GMT
On Mon, Sep 20, 2010 at 6:29 AM, lei liu <> wrote:
> I use INPUT_FILENAME and BLOCKOFFSETINSIDE_FILE, but there is same error.
> hive> select INPUT_FILENAME,  BLOCKOFFSETINSIDE_FILE from person1;
> FAILED: Error in semantic analysis: line 1:7 Invalid Table Alias or Column
> 2010/9/20 Thiruvel Thirumoolan <>
>> I dont think which added
>> virtual columns was committed to 0.6.
>> On Sep 20, 2010, at 3:47 PM, Thiruvel Thirumoolan wrote:
>> On Sep 20, 2010, at 3:15 PM, lei liu wrote:
>> I use hive0.6 version and  execute 'select INPUT_FILE_NAME,
>>  BLOCK_OFFSET_INSIDE_FILE from person1' statement,  hive0.6 throws below
>> error:
>> FAILED: Error in semantic analysis: line 1:7 Invalid Table Alias or Column
>> Reference INPUT_FILE_NAME error.
>> Don't hive0.6 support virtual columns?
You have to be careful here. The wiki represents trunk, not a
particular release.

I started the process of moving the wiki to XDOC documentation for
just this reason, so we can have accurate concise documentation for a
release. version/feature confusion is very prevalent to those outside
of hive.

Currently the culture is in place for jira and wiki. I do not see it,
because I often spend 10 hours working on a feature. While writing the
xdoc for that feature probably takes about 8 minutes, and updating the
wiki takes about 3.

I imagine the majority of committers (at Facebook) they have an
internal wiki and their users are less confused. The very astute users
dig deep and figure out how to use the less documented features, but
(here) some people just stop and ask at the first wiki inaccuracy. The
long delay to crank out hive-6 has not helped the issue. If i had to
hazard a guess right now I would say 80% of deployments are running a
trunk between 5 branch and now.

View raw message