hive-user mailing list archives

From "Rodriguez, John" <>
Subject Is deserialize(Writable field) able to handle any writable class
Date Tue, 14 Sep 2010 19:16:05 GMT
I have a custom Writable called DigestWritable. The DigestWritable is
stored in a SequenceFile.

For illustration, assume it is like this:

public class DigestWritable implements {

  String str;

  int I;

I started to write a SerDe in order to read the DigestWritable from the
SequenceFile and pass the String/int fields to Hive.

However, in

  public Object deserialize(Writable field) throws SerDeException

the Writable param seems to only be allowed to be Text or ByteWritable.

Is this correct, or am I doing something wrong in my SerDe?

How do I get the Writable to be a DigestWritable?

Is the Writable only allowed to be a primitive?

View raw message