hive-user mailing list archives

From 김영우 <>
Subject Hive JDBC and client encoding
Date Thu, 05 Aug 2010 05:06:55 GMT

My hive server(trunk) is running on RHEL5. and Server's default encoding is
UTF8. also log files in HDFS are encoded in UTF8.
I have no problem on CLI and Linux based clients. it just works fine. I can
see the Korean characters. No broken characters.

I'm developing  a java app using Hive JDBC on Windows7 and My Windows7 is a
localized version, so it use 'MS949' for default encoding.

>From simple code:
1. getString() : Does not work. Korean characters are broken.
2. new String(getString().getBytes("UTF8"), "MS949") : Does not work. Korean
characters are broken.

Well... I can apply the jvm option "file.encoding=UTF8". it works with
getString() but I would not change the default encoding.

I would like to know how can I convert result string to localized string. I
mean, encoded in clinet's OS encoding?

- Youngwoo

View raw message