hive-user mailing list archives

From "Bakshi, Ankita" <>
Subject RE: how to prevent user from dropping table created by another user
Date Wed, 04 Aug 2010 17:25:42 GMT
Thanks Carl for the pointers.
Good news is - user can recover from the failure by doing following steps:
1. For tables without partition, it is as simple as creating table definition again.
2. For tables with partition, it will involve creating table definition followed by creating

From: Carl Steinbach []
Sent: Tuesday, August 03, 2010 4:17 PM
Subject: Re: how to prevent user from dropping table created by another user

Hi Ankita,
We wanted to avoid user from dropping table created by another user. By changing the hdfs
permission of the table dir, we were able to prevent the table from getting deleted from hdfs.
But unfortunately, hive deletes the metadata related to the table from the mysql metastore.

The strategy that Hive currently employs for operations like this is to first attempt update
the data in the metastore db, and iff that succeeds it then attempts to make the corresponding
changes in HDFS. Eventually we hope to build authorization facilities into the MetaStore (see

I am wondering if any one has any pointers to this problem.
It would also help if someone could point me to the hive code where it is doing deletion.
It seems that we just have to exit if hdfs throws error and should not delete metadata in
this case.

The code you're looking for is the drop_table_core() method in metastore/src/java/org/apache/hadoop/hive/metastore/

The information contained in this email message and its attachments is intended only for the
private and confidential use of the recipient(s) named above, unless the sender expressly
agrees otherwise. Transmission of email over the Internet is not a secure communications medium.
If you are requesting or have requested the transmittal of personal data, as defined in applicable
privacy laws by means of email or in an attachment to email, you must select a more secure
alternate means of transmittal that supports your obligations to protect such personal data.
If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient and/or you have received this
email in error, you must take no action based on the information in this email and you are
hereby notified that any dissemination, misuse or copying or disclosure of this communication
is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us
immediately by email and delete the original message.
View raw message