hive-user mailing list archives

From Pradeep Kamath <>
Subject How are nulls represented in data?
Date Mon, 09 Aug 2010 16:42:26 GMT
   What value does hive expect in the data for a column to be treated as null? I tried some
permutations on a text data based table but couldn't figure out what the correct representation
was. I tried empty string, the string NULL and the string null for a string column and in
all three cases the "is null" operator returned false.

A couple of related questions:
 - Does the representation of null depend on the type of the column - is it different for
string Vs non-string columns?
 - Is the representation of null different for different storage formats - text Vs RCFile
Vs SequenceFile - I am particularly interested in text and RCFile.

Thanks in advance,

View raw message