hive-user mailing list archives

From Shuja Rehman <>
Subject java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space
Date Fri, 09 Jul 2010 17:14:55 GMT
Hi All

I am facing a hard problem. I am running a map reduce job using streaming
but it fails and it gives the following error.

Caught: java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space
	at Nodemapper5.parseXML(Nodemapper5.groovy:25)
java.lang.RuntimeException: PipeMapRed.waitOutputThreads(): subprocess
failed with code 1
	at org.apache.hadoop.streaming.PipeMapRed.waitOutputThreads(
	at org.apache.hadoop.streaming.PipeMapRed.mapRedFinished(
	at org.apache.hadoop.streaming.PipeMapper.close(
	at org.apache.hadoop.mapred.MapTask.runOldMapper(
	at org.apache.hadoop.mapred.Child.main(

I have increased the heap size in and make it 2000M. Also I
tell the job manually by following line.

-D \

but it still gives the error. The same job runs fine if i run on shell using
1024M heap size like

cat file.xml | /root/Nodemapper5.groovy

Any clue?????????

Thanks in advance.

Shuja-ur-Rehman Baig
MS CS - School of Science and Engineering
Lahore University of Management Sciences (LUMS)
Sector U, DHA, Lahore, 54792, Pakistan
Cell: +92 3214207445

View raw message