hive-user mailing list archives

From "Pradeep Kamath" <>
Subject RE: UDF which takes entire row as arg
Date Thu, 08 Jul 2010 00:44:29 GMT
Hi Arvind,

  Before I dig deeper with the patch on that jira, I was wondering if it
is relevant that what I am trying is not an aggregate function (no group
by involved). I am writing a row level UDF but would like all fields in
the row to be presented to the udf. So my query literally is:

"select myudf(*) from mytable;"

Do you think the patch might address my use case even though my UDF is
not a UDAF?

From: Arvind Prabhakar []
Sent: Wednesday, July 07, 2010 5:26 PM
Subject: Re: UDF which takes entire row as arg

Hi Pradeep,

See HIVE-287 <> . The most
recent patch supplied with this Jira allows you to create UDAFs that
support the  FUNCTION(STAR) syntax. You can apply this patch to your
local working copy and see if that addresses your problem.

Also feel free to ask questions regarding anything that this patch

On Wed, Jul 7, 2010 at 4:35 PM, Pradeep Kamath <>

  I wanted to implement a UDF which takes the entire row of input as
argument. Unfortunately when I call it using select myudf(*) from my
table, I get :

FAILED: Parse Error: line 1:16 mismatched input '*' expecting ) in
function specification

Is this not allowed?

View raw message