hive-user mailing list archives

From Paul Yang <>
Subject RE: using get_json_object with explode/lateral view
Date Wed, 30 Jun 2010 18:17:04 GMT
Hi Andraz,

get_json_object() will return the string representation of a array. One way to converting
this to a list is use regexp_replace() to get rid of '[' and ']' and then call split() using
',' to get an array.

Enumeration is a little bit tricky. One way is to use field() on the array to get the position
of each exploded string. But field() may be broken at the moment. Viraj on the mailing list
was looking to do the same thing as well.

-----Original Message-----
From: Andraz Tori []
Sent: Wednesday, June 30, 2010 9:02 AM
Subject: using get_json_object with explode/lateral view

I am trying to explode or lateral view on a list that is returned by
get_jsonb_object, something along these lines:

select explode(get_json_object(jsonblob, '$.output_dict.articles.url'))
as url from sometable;

I get:
FAILED: Error in semantic analysis: explode() takes an array as a

The trick is that what get_json_object returns is an array (or is it a
string representation of an array?)

a) how to do it?

b) any chance for explode to produce enumeration too (so I'd get two
variables out of each entry - url and position)

[I hope this is not a duplicate message, mail program trouble]

Andraz Tori, CTO
Zemanta Ltd, New York, London, Ljubljana
tel: +1 415 937 1 936       +386 41 515 767
´╗┐twitter: andraz, skype: minmax_test

View raw message