hive-user mailing list archives

From Scott Whitecross <>
Subject Controller number of reducers used
Date Mon, 28 Jun 2010 13:07:16 GMT
I would like to control the maximum number of reducers a Hive query has
access to.  I have seen cases of Hive using up to 999 reducers, which seems
inefficient (starting and stopping individual reducers), and I'd also like
to cap the resources Hive uses on the cluster.  (Investigating the fair use
scheduler as well, which hopefully works well?)

I haven't seen any conclusive settings is the documentation, so what options
are there to throttle Hive (using .4 at the moment)?  hive.exec.reducers.max
is mentioned in a JIRA item, but not in Hive documentation.  Does it work?

View raw message