hive-user mailing list archives

From Zheng Shao <zs...@facebook.com>
Subject RE: compressed storage
Date Wed, 06 Jan 2010 02:55:37 GMT
Hi Hector,

The map-reduce job will output the data in some temporary locations, and then Hive will move
the files into final destination.

We cannot disconnect the session when running Hive. Hive will print out "OK" on the command
line when everything is done.

Zheng
-----Original Message-----
From: Hector Yuen [mailto:hector@nimblestorage.com]
Sent: Tuesday, January 05, 2010 5:12 PM
To: hive-user@hadoop.apache.org
Subject: compressed storage

Hi all,

I am following the directions from
http://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/CompressedStorage

I uploaded a tab separated file into a hive table, and it went fine.
When I try to copy it into another table of sequencefile type, it
creates a task called something similar to:

insert overwrite table foo... foo_tmp(1/2)

It finished that job, but the new table seems to be empty, what am I
doing wrong here? Also, the 1/2 suggests me there should be a second
task, could that be the problem? I did that yesterday night and
disconnected accidentally. If that is the case, is there a command
that can do step 1 and 2 together?

Thanks
-h