hive-user mailing list archives

From Carl Steinbach <c...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: Modifying data before importation into Hive
Date Wed, 25 Nov 2009 00:45:04 GMT
> In general though if there’s a need to say transform or add to data at LOAD
> time before putting in a Hive table, as yet there’s no way to do it, right?

One option is to create a temporary EXTERNAL table using your input data,
and then insert this data into a permanent table using a select/transform
statement. I think this is largely equivalent to doing a TRANSFORM at LOAD
time, the main difference being that the external table's data source is not
deleted when the table is created or dropped.

Carl