hive-user mailing list archives

From Ryan LeCompte <lecom...@gmail.com>
Subject Creating and populating bucketed tables
Date Sat, 24 Oct 2009 10:00:32 GMT
Hello,

I am trying to create a table that is bucketed  and sorted by various
columns. My table is created as a sequence file, and I'm populating it with
the LOAD DATA command. However, I just came across this wiki page (
http://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/Hive/LanguageManual/DDL/BucketedTables) which
says that the data will NOT be bucketed when inserted into the table. It
gives an example of using the CLUSTER BY command in a SELECT statement to
insert the data into the table.

Is it possible to somehow get the same effect by using the LOAD DATA
command? Or do I have to create a separate bucketed and non-bucketed table
for my data and move it around like the example in the link above indicates?

Thanks,
Ryan