hive-user mailing list archives

From Bill Graham <billgra...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Problems using hive JDBC driver on Windows (with Squirrel SQL Client)
Date Thu, 17 Sep 2009 05:47:41 GMT
Additional help could certainly be used on the JDBC driver. I agree that
getting the JDBC support full-featured is a good place to focus your energy.
Guys correct me if I'm wrong, but the approach has generally been to pick a
SQL client desktop app and implement the JDBC methods need to support it.
Raghu did that with Pentaho and I did the same for Squirrel.

I don't normally use Squirrel, but I implemented to it since it's open
source and it gives great visibility in the logs/admin window into which
JDBC methods are being called that are not yet implemented and it's fairly
forgiving. (I'm a fan of DBVisualizer, but it doesn't give very much useful
info when something in the driver isn't implemented, plus it tends to
fail-fast when an optional metadata methods fails.)

Regarding what's currently being worked on in the driver, I'm working on
HIVE-795 to get better error messaing and SQLStates passed from the Hive
server to the JDBC driver. Others can comment on what else is active, but
I'd recommend searching for open JIRAs where Component/s is 'Client'. This
issue has also become somewhat of an umbrella bug for JDBC, and contains a
number of TODOs:

HTH.

thanks,
BIll