hive-user mailing list archives

From Prasad Chakka <pcha...@facebook.com>
Subject Re: Is there a good way to move the hive warehouse directory?
Date Tue, 18 Aug 2009 01:23:55 GMT
I don't think I understand it exactly but check the metastore db for a table 'SDS' and the
the table's location is specified in 'LOCATION' column. You could write a SQL query to change
this to what you want.

I suggest you backup the metastore db first before doing this.

Prasad

________________________________
From: Eva Tse <etse@netflix.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2009 19:18:35 -0700
To: <hive-user@hadoop.apache.org>
Subject: Is there a good way to move the hive warehouse directory?

We currently run hive and store all our data in a warehouse on /user/hive/warehouse. Now we
want to move the original warehouse from /user/hive/warehouse to new /user/hive/$USER/warehouse
and retain all the data in the original warehouse.  Is there a good way to do it?

Here is the background: We want multiple users to be able to create tables of same names.
The use case is we have a development environment where multiple developers would use to access
hive, but they would all use the same table namespace for testing/developing, etc.  And we
are overwriting -hiveconf for both the warehouse root dir and the database name via the connection
string.

Thanks,
Eva.