hive-user mailing list archives

From Rakesh Setty <serak...@yahoo-inc.com>
Subject RE: Issue with nested types
Date Tue, 07 Jul 2009 19:00:12 GMT
I think this solution will not deal with maps within maps and lists within lists.

Thanks,
Rakesh

________________________________
From: Rakesh Setty
Sent: Tuesday, July 07, 2009 11:37 AM
To: 'hive-user@hadoop.apache.org'
Subject: Issue with nested types

Hi,

            The issue of nested types addressed recently through JIRA HIVE-603 is very useful.
But I have an issue with the schema specification.
            I have a table page_views with two columns - page_info is a map with key delimiter
as Ctrl-D and the key-value pair (record) delimiter as Ctrl-C and page_links is a list of
maps with each list item separated using Ctrl-B, map delimiters being Ctrl-D and Ctrl-C as
mentioned above.
            In the DDL statement, if I do not specify "collection items terminated by" and
"array items terminated by" clauses, page_links is deserialized properly, but page_info is
not deserialized properly. If I specify the clauses - collection items terminated by '\003'
and map keys terminated by '\004', page_info is deserialized properly but page_links is not
deserialized properly. The reason I think is that in page_links it considers '\003' or Ctrl-C
as delimiter for both array and map record. But I have Ctrl-B as array delimiter and Ctrl-D
as map record delimiter.
            I think we should replace the clause "collection items terminated by" with separate
clauses like "list items terminated by" and "map items terminated by".

Thanks,
Rakesh