hive-user mailing list archives

From Stephen Corona <scor...@adknowledge.com>
Subject RE: Setting up local repository w/ derby
Date Thu, 11 Jun 2009 21:23:42 GMT
We use an EBS volume to hold our derby database when running Hive on EC2. It's pretty simple
to setup and works great.

-Steve
From: Prasad Chakka [pchakka@facebook.com]
Sent: Thursday, June 11, 2009 5:05 PM
To: hive-user@hadoop.apache.org
Subject: Re: Setting up local repository w/ derby

I am not sure how to handle permanent storage in EC2 but you can run derby as a networked
database similar to that of mysql. You can run derby server on the same node as jobtracker
and when you are done with the cluster, you can copy the directory on which derby is running
to a permanent place. When you need the metastore again in a new cluster setup, copy the file
to any node in the cluster and then start the derby server on that file.

Instructions on how to setup a derby server are here http://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/HiveDerbyServerMode
(derby docs @ http://db.apache.org/derby/docs/10.4/adminguide/cadminov825266.html)

Prasad