hive-user mailing list archives

From Alexis Rondeau <alexis.rond...@gmail.com>
Subject Individual distinction on two or more columns
Date Wed, 06 May 2009 17:05:20 GMT
Hi there,

I'm currently getting my feet wet with Hive and am very impressed how quick
and easy it was to get going and try things out.

I am trying to run a query using count(distinct) on two separate columns is
failing as follows:

hive> select count(distinct user), count(distinct session) from actions;
FAILED: Error in semantic analysis: line 2:7 DISTINCT on Different Columns
not Supported user

While the similar semantics work fine in sql, is there a recommended
workaround for this limitation or something that will be included in future
releases?

Any pointers are appreciated, thank you very much in advance,

Alexis

--
Alexis Rondeau