hive-user mailing list archives

From Prasad Chakka <>
Subject Re: Querying JSON/Thrift data?
Date Sat, 07 Mar 2009 00:33:01 GMT
Can you use ThriftDeserializer? Look at Complex class to see how it is used.

From: Stephen Corona <>
Date: Fri, 6 Mar 2009 16:02:02 -0800
To: <>
Subject: RE: Querying JSON/Thrift data?

From: Stephen Corona
Sent: Friday, March 06, 2009 6:16 PM
Subject: Querying JSON/Thrift data?

Hey guys,

I am currently loading data into Hive in a CSV delimited format. This works but turns out
to be a huge pain when adding and removing columns (since they can only be added to the end
of the table). Is there any way to load and query data that's in some sort of JSON/thrift
format? That way the data is already associated with some column and not just in a seemingly
arbitrary data format? I am pretty open on which format to use and how to load it into Hive.
FWIW, Our data is generated in PHP and pushed to Scribe. Scribe aggregates the CSV files and
we load them into Hive every night.

View raw message