hive-user mailing list archives

From Ashish Thusoo <>
Subject RE: create external table for a single file
Date Mon, 26 Jan 2009 23:33:36 GMT
We could potentially do that, though that would make appending data to the table difficult.
Also that would mean a lot of changes internally as we treat all tables as directories for
multiple reasons the primary one being support of efficient sampling..

-----Original Message-----
From: Edward Capriolo []
Sent: Monday, January 26, 2009 3:11 PM
Subject: create external table for a single file

The system I am running this from has an older version of Hive so excuse me if this is already
addressed. I am attempting to run this query.

CREATE external TABLE webservers_2009_01_25_web1_log_a (,... referer STRING) row format delimited
fields terminated by '\031'
stored as TEXTFILE
LOCATION '/user/ecapriolo/storage/2009-01-25/webservers/web1.log'

I understand that external table needs to be pointed at a directory not a file. However it
would be useful to point to a file rather than a directory.

View raw message