hive-dev mailing list archives

From Karen Coppage <karen.copp...@cloudera.com>
Subject [DISCUSSION] WebUI query plan graphs
Date Thu, 10 Aug 2017 15:38:04 GMT
I'm resending this with a link to pictures, as they could not be embedded.

Screenshots here:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B0gDaJsjA3cxMUV5SW5VQnh4aGM

================

Hi all,

I’m working on a feature of the Hive WebUI Query Plan tab that would
provide the option to display the query plan as a nice graph (scroll down
for link to screenshots). If you click on one of the graph’s stages, the
plan for that stage appears as text below.

Stages are color-coded if they have a status (Success, Error, Running), and
the rest are grayed out. Coloring is based on status already available in
the WebUI, under the Stages tab.

There is an additional option to display stats for MapReduce tasks. This
includes the job’s ID, tracking URL (where the logs are found), and mapper
and reducer numbers/progress, among other info.

The library I’m using for the graph is called vis.js (http://visjs.org/).
It has an Apache license, and the only necessary file to be included from
this library is about 700 KB.

I tried to keep server-side changes minimal, and graph generation is taken
care of by the client. Plans with more than a given number of stages
(default: 25) won't be displayed in order to preserve resources.

I’d love to hear any and all input from the community about this feature:
do you think it’s useful, and is there anything important I’m missing?

Thanks,

Karen Coppage