hive-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Apple <jbap...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: Apache Hive metastore and Impala
Date Thu, 06 Apr 2017 00:36:25 GMT
On Wed, Apr 5, 2017 at 4:41 PM, Edward Capriolo <edlinuxguru@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hello impala devs!
>
> Let me say that I have used impala a lot and am very impressed with it.

Thank you!

> I am not asserting that impala if affected by case #1 or #2 currently, but
> something to be aware of. If you need guidance  feel free to discuss
> further with the Hive PMC.

I don't think there is a danger right now of Apache Impala (incubating)
forking Hive. As far as artifact publication, Apache Impala (incubating)
does not publish binary artifacts at this time. Nonetheless, I will forward
your message to some people at Cloudera who might be interested, since
Cloudera does publish binaries.

> Apache Hive proposes and adds syntax all the time. For example, this
> feature is in the works now (
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HIVE-15986).

Funny you should mention that feature -- I actually implemented that for
Impala:
https://github.com/apache/incubator-impala/commit/1a3d7ffd4fd392b3ed831dfc7a3bfcfdb8cb8bbd#diff-a7c8505823aef79d508ede7e4d4e464a

As you say, though, our syntax is unlikely to be identical. I've sent a
patch for review that will change our webpage:
http://gerrit.cloudera.org:8080/6567