hive-dev mailing list archives

From Thejas Nair <thejas.n...@gmail.com>
Subject [VOTE] Drop support for Java7 in master branch
Date Tue, 28 Feb 2017 04:54:56 GMT
There was a [DISCUSS] thread on the topic of moving to jdk8 for unit tests
[1], and many people also expressed the opinion that we should drop JDK 7
support in Hive. Public updates by Oracle was stopped on Apr 2015 [2].

This vote thread proposes to dropping JDK 7 support in the next Apache Hive
2.x release (ie master branch), so that we can start leveraging new
features in Java 8 and also libraries that require java8.

[1] https://s.apache.org/hive-jdk8-test
[2] http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/eol-135779.html

Here is my +1.

Vote ends in 72 hours.
Thanks,
Thejas

PS: I think this would fall under "Code change" under Hive-bylaws, so it
doesn't seem to really require a formal vote thread. But I think this does
merit wider attention than a jira ticket.