hive-dev mailing list archives

From Ranjan Banerjee <raba...@microsoft.com>
Subject Hive conditional join question
Date Thu, 05 Jan 2017 03:33:36 GMT
Hi,
I have two hive tables and I want to do a join only if both the tables have data in them.
I don't want the join to happen if one of the table is empty. I tried exploring case statement
with the intention that I would do something like
select count(*) as val case when val > 0 then else end from table2
However it looks like hive won't allow to perform an evaluation within the case statement,
so this approach does not work. Anyone has any input on how to perform this in hive.

Thanks
Ranjan