hive-dev mailing list archives

From Gopal Vijayaraghavan <gop...@apache.org>
Subject Re: TBLPROPERTIES appears to be ignored by custom inputformats
Date Tue, 20 Dec 2016 05:11:41 GMT
>  I don't see anything in the HiveServer2 log when I do SELECT
>   count(*).

The count(*) should not be running on the HiveServer2, unlike the SELECT *.

SELECT * takes a short-cut by which it skips the entire "cluster" part of Hive and runs the
InputFormat locally in HiveServer2.

You might be mistaking that for actual execution of a query (like a count, which is a group-by
or further ahead, joins etc). You can possibly do

set hive.fetch.task.conversion=none;

To force "select *" to skip the fast path & follow the same codepath as an actual query.

Also a possibility, is that select count(*) gets rewritten to a select count(1) in the optimizer,
which might be interfering with your SerDe?

The logs for the InputFormat should appear in the distributed execution side, which is not
the same process as HiveServer2.

How you get those logs is somewhat tied to which Execution Engine is enabled.

Cheers,
Gopal