hive-dev mailing list archives

From Ranjan Banerjee <>
Subject Oversized container estimation
Date Fri, 25 Nov 2016 17:33:15 GMT
Hi everyone,
I have a cluster where each container is configured at 4GB and some of my queries are getting
over in 30 to 40 seconds. This leads me to believe that I have too much memory for my containers
and I am thinking of reducing the container size to 1.5GB(hive.tez.container.size) but I am
looking for a few more concrete data points to find out if really I have oversized containers?
I looked into the tez view of my DAG and the counters give me:
I am guessing this is wrong as there is no way the query could finish in 20 seconds on a 98GB
cluster if the actual memory required by the query is 907GB. Any help to find some data points
regarding determination of oversized containers is very much appreciated!