hive-dev mailing list archives

From Thejas Nair <thejas.n...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [QUESTION] Hive releases candence (how often do we release?)
Date Thu, 06 Oct 2016 01:53:20 GMT
Hi Sergio,

- What is the release cadence in Hive? Is there a scheduled time to do
major releases, like every 3 months?

There have been discussions in the past about release cadence, and people
seem to agree that more frequent releases would be good.
However, in practice, the release cadence has varied over time. It depends
on someone volunteering to work on the release.

- Do we have some kind of quality check before doing a release? or is it
just by voting that packages and jars are correct?

Many of the releases in last few years were driven by committers who are
also employed at Hortonworks. In case of those releases, those apache
releases were also being used as input for the next Hortonworks Data
Platform releases, and were going through system/integration tests at
hortonworks. Unfortunately, with the tests we have in Apache, we don't have
good way to verify if the release actually works at scale, with kerberos,
HDFS encryption, LDAP etc.
Hive 1.1.0 was driven by Brock Noland who was at cloudera, maybe that one
went through system/integration tests at Cloudera.

When people Vote on the release, we have to rely on what is available in
apache, which is the unit test results and contents of the tar.gz.

- Is there a document that mentions what kind of changes must be added and
not to minor and major versions?
  When can we break api, features, etc? when a change must be on Hive3 or
on Hive2.2?

I am not aware of a formal document. The general practice seems to have
been to try and keep backward compatibility in a major line.
There have been some backward incompatible changes where the behavior was
considered a bug. The backward incompatible changes in Decimal datatype in
first few releases would be a good example of that.
I think we should work on a more formal document around this, like the one
in hbase - https://hbase.apache.org/book.html#hbase.versioning

Thanks,
Thejas