hive-dev mailing list archives

From Sergio Pena <>
Subject [QUESTION] Hive releases candence (how often do we release?)
Date Wed, 28 Sep 2016 21:34:02 GMT
Hi All,

I was looking in the Hive Wiki regarding this topic, but I don't find
anything about how often we do releases in Hive.
So, I wanted to send this email to ask a few questions regarding releases:

- What is the release cadence in Hive? Is there a scheduled time to do
major releases, like every 3 months?
  What about minor version releases?

- Do we have some kind of quality check before doing a release?
  or is it just by voting that packages and jars are correct?

- Is there a document that mentions what kind of changes must be added and
not to minor and major versions?
  When can we break api, features, etc? when a change must be on Hive3 or
on Hive2.2?

Btw, I'd like to include a testing phase on every release to validate its
quality before the final release.
There is some work we're doing on PTest to allow that in ths jira:

 - Sergio