hive-dev mailing list archives

From Ashutosh Chauhan <>
Subject [Discuss] Patch submission and commit format
Date Fri, 10 Jul 2015 18:08:18 GMT
There was a problem of attributing contributions correctly back when we
were using svn, now that we are on git, that problem can be addressed. This
email is an effort to solicit feedback for it.

Problem: In svn, there is only a committer field, so when committer was
committing someone else's patch there was no way in svn to record original
contributor. We used to workaround this by putting name of contributor in
commit message.

Git offers a better solution for this, since it makes a distinction between
committer and author of the patch. However, to do this git needs patch to
be formatted (with git format-patch) and committed (using git am) in
certain way. I myself is using following flags to generate and commit
patches for some time now:

git format-patch --stdout -1 > HIVE-XXXXX.patch
git am --signoff HIVE-XXXXX.patch

I propose we follow these conventions to generate and commit patches.

PS: Motivation for this came while lurking on linux kernel mailing list,
where I found Linux devs follow similar process.