hive-dev mailing list archives

From Alan Gates <alanfga...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: PL/HQL and Hive
Date Wed, 17 Jun 2015 18:55:50 GMT
Here's what we need to do:

1) You need to file a JIRA proposing to contribute the code.
2) You can then contribute the code as a patch to that JIRA.  As long as
you've written all the code yourself this is sufficient to hand legal
rights to Apache to contribute the code.  If others beyond you have
legal claim to the code (ie they wrote it or paid you to write it) we'll
need to work with Apache and those authors to get clearance to include
the code.
3) Before committing the code we need to move it to an org.apache.hive
packaging structure.  I propose that we put it in a new package
org.apache.hive.hplsql (see below for why I chose that).  We can take
the patch you submit and make this change before committing or you can
move it yourself before you contribute the patch.
4) One of the current committers can then take the patch and get it
committed.

One suggestion that might be controversial:  I propose we change the
name from PL/HQL to HPL/SQL (hence my packaging name suggestion above).
We want to move away from saying Hive has a language called HQL which is
SQL like.  At this point Hive's SQL is most of the way to SQL-92 so
talking about HQL just confuses people.  Hence Hive PL/SQL (HPL/SQL)
seems better.  Or if you prefer we could do PL/HSQL.

Alan.