hive-dev mailing list archives

From Lefty Leverenz <>
Subject Re: Fwd: [DISCUSS] Allow any jira user to assign HIVE bugs to them self
Date Sun, 03 May 2015 06:44:02 GMT
Hive only requires committers to sign ICLAs.  That doesn't seem to provide
any legal protection when non-committers contribute patches.

In days gone by, JIRA made us assign rights to Apache when we attached a
patch to an issue.  That's still in the instructions for Contributing Your
 "Please note that the attachment should be granted license to ASF for
inclusion in ASF work" although the JIRA GUI doesn't have that option

See Apache's page on licenses <>:  "The
ASF desires that all contributors of ideas, code, or documentation to the
Apache projects complete, sign, and submit (via postal mail, fax or email)
an Individual Contributor License Agreement" *(highlighting added)*.

So documentation in the wiki should also be covered by ICLAs.  Carried to
extremes, anyone who participates on a mailing list, comments on a JIRA
issue, or reviews a patch should sign an ICLA.

-- Lefty

On Sun, May 3, 2015 at 12:30 AM, Sushanth Sowmyan <>