hive-dev mailing list archives

From Alan Gates <alanfga...@gmail.com>
Subject [VOTE] Stable releases from branch-1 and experimental releases from master
Date Tue, 26 May 2015 18:41:02 GMT
We have discussed this for several weeks now.  Some concerns have been
raised which I have tried to address.  I think it is time to vote on it
as our release plan.  To be specific, I propose:

Hive makes a branch-1 from the current master.  This would be used for
1.3 and future 1.x releases.  This branch would not deprecate existing
functionality.  Any new features in this branch would also need to be
put on master.  An upgrade path for users will be maintained from one
1.x release to the next, as well as from the latest 1.x release to the
latest 2.x release.

Going forward releases numbered 2.x will be made from master.  The
purpose of these releases will be to enable users to get access to new
features being developed in Hive and allow developers to get feedback.
It is expected that for a while these releases will not be production
ready and will be clearly so labeled.  Some legacy features, such as
Hadoop 1 and MapReduce, will no longer be supported in the master.  Any
critical bug fixes (security, incorrect results, crashes) fixed in
master will also be ported to branch-1 for at least a year.  This time
period may be extended in the future based on the stability and adoption
of 2.x releases.

Based on Hive's bylaws this release plan vote will be open for 3 days
and all active committers have binding votes.

Here's my +1.

Alan.