hive-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Sushanth Sowmyan <khorg...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Preparation for Hive-1.2 release
Date Wed, 22 Apr 2015 20:33:13 GMT
Hi Szehon,

Sergey tells me that he's verifying the repos, and expects to unblock
it in another 20 minutes or so. I think that if HIVE-10347 is ready
for commit now to svn, it should be committable to git as well, as-is
as soon as that comes back up. In that scenario, there's no extra need
to learn how to do merges in git, since I would expect this to be
ready before then. If the .patch file uploaded on HIVE-10347 applies
appropriately on svn, then there should be no issues applying it to
git. I can help there too, if that helps.

Also, I think forking is not that drastic a measure in git as it is in
svn, and merges are a bit easier to manage under git. I would still
like to go ahead with a friday/weekend fork, and allow people to
continue submitting patches for inclusion up until we roll out an RC0,
and then lock it for bugfixes. (Note : If there are any other jiras
you are working on that you want to see in this release, please go add
it to that wiki list :
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/Hive/Hive+1.2+Release+Status
)

I would like to avoid a long-tail process as happened for 0.12.0 &
0.13.0 if possible. This way, I think we'll have more time for
testing/solidifying.

Thanks,
-Sushanth

P.S: Also, for additional reference, from the svn->git thread,
http://accumulo.apache.org/git.html is a good quick reference.

On Wed, Apr 22, 2015 at 11:31 AM, Szehon Ho <szehon@cloudera.com> wrote:
> Yes, I don't think it is fair to fork it this week, the change in question
> HIVE-10347 was reviewed and waiting 24 hours, but then svn repo is suddenly
> locked, and now the merge process has to be done again in git?  I would
> vote to push it back one week to give everyone a chance to figure this out,
> like how to do merges now.
>
> Thanks
> Szehon
>
>
>
> On Wed, Apr 22, 2015 at 11:10 AM, Xuefu Zhang <xzhang@cloudera.com> wrote:
>
>> Since the svn repo is locked for git migration and a queue of patches are
>> waiting to be committed, I'm not sure if forking on this Friday is
>> realistic.
>>
>> HIVE-9726 is part of the merge (HIVE-10347) which is also in the queue.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Xuefu
>>
>> On Wed, Apr 22, 2015 at 9:55 AM, Sushanth Sowmyan <khorgath@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> > @Lefty :
>> >
>> > Yup, I've been following the other thread and
>> > https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-9488 - I think that'll
>> > stabilize before we fork. I'll definitely wait for it, but also wanted
>> > to do a reminder/call-for-patches before it. :)
>> >
>> > @Youngwoo:
>> >
>> > Thanks, I'll add that to the tracker. I do not see a commit on it in
>> > trunk for it, so I'll ping Brock on that bug to see if it's included
>> > through some other jira on trunk.
>> >
>> >
>> >
>> > On Tue, Apr 21, 2015 at 10:58 PM, 김영우 <warwithin@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > > Hi,
>> > >
>> > > I would like to add a request for support Spark 1.3, HIVE-9726.
>> Currently
>> > > Apache Bigtop includes Spark 1.3 and we ran into a compatibility issue
>> > for
>> > > Hive 1.1+.
>> > > The issue have been resolved on 'spark-branch'  but could not find a
>> 'fix
>> > > version' for it. I hope that the fix merge into release 1.2.
>> > >
>> > > Thanks,
>> > > Youngwoo
>> > >
>> > > On Wed, Apr 22, 2015 at 12:33 PM, Sushanth Sowmyan <khorgath@gmail.com
>> >
>> > > wrote:
>> > >
>> > >> Hi Folks,
>> > >>
>> > >> Per my mail 3 weeks back, we should start getting ready to release
1.2
>> > >> as a rollup. And as per my proposal to manage this release, I'd like
>> > >> to start off the process of forking 1.2, and making trunk 1.3.
>> > >>
>> > >> I've set up a cwiki page for people to land development patches that
>> > >> are almost done, to signal their desire that this be included in 1.2
:
>> > >>
>> > https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/Hive/Hive+1.2+Release+Status
>> > >>
>> > >> A rough timeline I see for this process would be to fork this Friday
>> > >> (24th Apr), and then start rolling out RC0 by, say, Wednesday next
>> > >> week. This would mean that I would request that if you want your jira
>> > >> included in 1.2, it be close to completion, or have a patch available
>> > >> for review. By mid next week, also, I expect to freeze the wiki
>> > >> inclusion list for features, and keep it open only for bugfixes
>> > >> discovered during testing the various RCs.
>> > >>
>> > >> Please feel free to edit that jira with your requests, or, if you
>> > >> don't have edit privileges, if you reply to this mail, I can add it
>> > >> in. (Also, if you don't have wiki edit privileges, you should probably
>> > >> ask for it. :p)
>> > >>
>> > >> Thanks!
>> > >> -Sushanth
>> > >>
>> >
>>

Mime
View raw message