hive-dev mailing list archives

From Xuefu Zhang <>
Subject [DISCUSS] Deprecating Hive CLI
Date Thu, 23 Apr 2015 21:43:07 GMT
Hi all,

I'd like to revive the discussion about the fate of Hive CLI, as this topic
has haunted us several times including [1][2]. It looks to me that there is
a consensus that it's not wise for Hive community to keep both Hive CLI as
it is as well as Beeline + HS2. However, I don't believe that no action is
the best action for us. From discussion so far, I see the following

1. Deprecating Hive CLI and advise that users use Beeline.
2. Make Hive CLI as naming flavor to beeline with embedded mode.

Frankly, I don't see much difference between the two approaches. Keeping an
alias at script or even code level isn't that much work. However, shouldn't
we pick a direction and start moving to it? If there is any gaps between
beeline embedded and Hive CLI, we should identify and fill in those.

I'd love to hear the thoughts from the community and hope this time we will
have concrete action items to work on.