hive-dev mailing list archives

From Lars Francke <lars.fran...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Deprecating Hive CLI
Date Thu, 23 Apr 2015 22:53:32 GMT
I've been at about 20 different customers in the years since Beeline has
been added. I can only think of a single one that has used beeline. The
instinct is to use "hive", partially because it is easy to remember and
intuitive and because it is easier to use. I end up googling the stupid
JDBC syntax every single time.

I know this might be a bit "out there" but I propose something else:
1) Rename (or link) "beeline" to "hive"
2) Add a "--hiveserver2" (or "--jdbc" or "--beeline") option to the "hive"
command to get the current "beeline", this'd keep the CLI as default, we
could also add a "--legacy" or "--cli" option and make
"hiveserver2/beeline" the default.
3) Add a "--embedded-hs2" option to the "hive" command to get an embedded
HS2 in Beeline
4) Add some documentation to beeline reminding people on startup of beeline
on how to connect and how to use embedded mode

The fact is that the old shell just works for lots of people and there's
just no need for beeline for these people. Also the name is confusing -
especially for non-native speakers. It's not a common word so it's not easy
to remember.