hive-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Sergio Pena <sergio.p...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: Preparation for Hive-1.2 release
Date Sun, 26 Apr 2015 04:24:23 GMT
Hi,

I notice that the process of creating a new version does not involve a JIRA
ticket where we track a patch for changes committed to master.

One of the tests that was recently created on Jenkins is a job that run all
HMS upgrade tests for mysql/postgres/derby (oracle is still in progress)
when new changes are detected on a patch; and the current commit for 1.3.0
version contains new .sql files on the metastore upgrade scripts, but the
HMS test did not run because a patch does not exist for this.

Should we use a JIRA in future versions so that these HMS upgrade tests can
be executed, and the metastore can be verified for any bug added to the
.sql files?

- Sergio

On Sat, Apr 25, 2015 at 4:53 AM, Sushanth Sowmyan <khorgath@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi Folks,
>
> branch-1.2 is now created, and master has been bumped to 1.3.0-SNAPSHOT.
>
> Carl/Thejas, I do not have permissions to create a new unreleased
> version number for 1.3.0 on jira - could one of you please create this
> so any new resolved jiras can be marked with this instead?
>
> Everyone else : Once this jira version is created, please use fix
> version = 1.3.0 for any jiras you resolve in master.
>
> Also, please refer to
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/Hive/Hive+1.2+Release+Status
> for a proposed timeline of how I expect release candidates and the
> list for jira inclusion is intended to go for this release.
>
> Thanks!
> -Sushanth
>
>
> On Fri, Apr 24, 2015 at 5:21 PM, Sushanth Sowmyan <khorgath@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > Thanks, Szehon! Next week should be good.
> >
> > On Fri, Apr 24, 2015 at 2:17 PM, Szehon Ho <szehon@cloudera.com> wrote:
> >>>
> >>> Szehon, once we have a separate branch, would it be okay to set up a
> >>> nightly test run on that branch?
> >>
> >>
> >> Yea should be ok, one of us could look at that next week.
> >>
> >> Thanks
> >> Szehon
> >>
> >> On Fri, Apr 24, 2015 at 1:25 PM, Sushanth Sowmyan <khorgath@gmail.com>
> >> wrote:
> >>
> >>> Hi All,
> >>>
> >>> I'd like to send along a last reminder people to add any jiras that
> >>> people want included in 1.2 to
> >>>
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/Hive/Hive+1.2+Release+Status
> >>> or reply to this mail with any further requests for inclusions.
> >>>
> >>> As it currently stands, even though we did have a couple of days of
> >>> issues with the svn->git merge, and getting precommit tests working
> >>> again (thanks Szehon/Sergio!), it looks like the big patches in that
> >>> list are now in trunk, and the remaining ones are easy enough to
> >>> dual-merge. If there are no further feature requests for inclusions,
> >>> then I intend to lock the jira for feature inclusions by Monday, and
> >>> then allow only bugfixes to be requested for inclusions.
> >>>
> >>> With the list of jiras as it stands currently, I think we should be
> >>> able to go ahead with creating a branch tonight (midnight PDT), file a
> >>> jira to update master to 1.3, and have that resolved by Monday.
> >>>
> >>> Szehon, once we have a separate branch, would it be okay to set up a
> >>> nightly test run on that branch?
> >>>
> >>> Then, on Monday, I'll start working on rolling out an RC0, so that we
> >>> can have an RC0 out by Wednesday.
> >>>
> >>>
> >>>
> >>>
> >>> On Wed, Apr 22, 2015 at 4:01 PM, Thejas Nair <thejas.nair@gmail.com>
> >>> wrote:
> >>> > The Apache Accumulo project has written a nice doc on git use
> >>> > reccomendations for their project based on experiences in Accumulo
> and
> >>> > a similar Kafka document -
> >>> > http://accumulo.apache.org/git.html. It describes the options for
> >>> > committing feature branches as well. I propose using that as the
> >>> > current hive git usage recommendation for now (until we feel a need
> to
> >>> > do things differently).
> >>> >
> >>> > I think we should update
> >>> > https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/Hive/HowToContribute
> page
> >>> > to include this link. Any volunteers ?
> >>> >
> >>> > Thanks,
> >>> > Thejas
> >>> >
> >>> >
> >>> > On Wed, Apr 22, 2015 at 2:37 PM, Szehon Ho <szehon@cloudera.com>
> wrote:
> >>> >> Thanks Sushanth.  Yes, blind applying the patch would work, but
I
> >>> believe
> >>> >> it is a little more involved to keep the history (git merge, rebase,
> >>> >> resolve, test, etc).
> >>> >>
> >>> >> I am doing the merge process again this time in git and regenerated
> >>> what is
> >>> >> hopefully an equivalent patch, hopefully I can get it done soon.
> >>> >>
> >>> >> Thanks,
> >>> >> Szehon
> >>> >>
> >>> >> On Wed, Apr 22, 2015 at 1:33 PM, Sushanth Sowmyan <
> khorgath@gmail.com>
> >>> >> wrote:
> >>> >>
> >>> >>> Hi Szehon,
> >>> >>>
> >>> >>> Sergey tells me that he's verifying the repos, and expects
to
> unblock
> >>> >>> it in another 20 minutes or so. I think that if HIVE-10347
is ready
> >>> >>> for commit now to svn, it should be committable to git as well,
> as-is
> >>> >>> as soon as that comes back up. In that scenario, there's no
extra
> need
> >>> >>> to learn how to do merges in git, since I would expect this
to be
> >>> >>> ready before then. If the .patch file uploaded on HIVE-10347
> applies
> >>> >>> appropriately on svn, then there should be no issues applying
it to
> >>> >>> git. I can help there too, if that helps.
> >>> >>>
> >>> >>> Also, I think forking is not that drastic a measure in git
as it
> is in
> >>> >>> svn, and merges are a bit easier to manage under git. I would
still
> >>> >>> like to go ahead with a friday/weekend fork, and allow people
to
> >>> >>> continue submitting patches for inclusion up until we roll
out an
> RC0,
> >>> >>> and then lock it for bugfixes. (Note : If there are any other
jiras
> >>> >>> you are working on that you want to see in this release, please
go
> add
> >>> >>> it to that wiki list :
> >>> >>>
> >>>
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/Hive/Hive+1.2+Release+Status
> >>> >>> )
> >>> >>>
> >>> >>> I would like to avoid a long-tail process as happened for 0.12.0
&
> >>> >>> 0.13.0 if possible. This way, I think we'll have more time
for
> >>> >>> testing/solidifying.
> >>> >>>
> >>> >>> Thanks,
> >>> >>> -Sushanth
> >>> >>>
> >>> >>> P.S: Also, for additional reference, from the svn->git thread,
> >>> >>> http://accumulo.apache.org/git.html is a good quick reference.
> >>> >>>
> >>> >>> On Wed, Apr 22, 2015 at 11:31 AM, Szehon Ho <szehon@cloudera.com>
> >>> wrote:
> >>> >>> > Yes, I don't think it is fair to fork it this week, the
change in
> >>> >>> question
> >>> >>> > HIVE-10347 was reviewed and waiting 24 hours, but then
svn repo
> is
> >>> >>> suddenly
> >>> >>> > locked, and now the merge process has to be done again
in git?  I
> >>> would
> >>> >>> > vote to push it back one week to give everyone a chance
to figure
> >>> this
> >>> >>> out,
> >>> >>> > like how to do merges now.
> >>> >>> >
> >>> >>> > Thanks
> >>> >>> > Szehon
> >>> >>> >
> >>> >>> >
> >>> >>> >
> >>> >>> > On Wed, Apr 22, 2015 at 11:10 AM, Xuefu Zhang <
> xzhang@cloudera.com>
> >>> >>> wrote:
> >>> >>> >
> >>> >>> >> Since the svn repo is locked for git migration and
a queue of
> >>> patches
> >>> >>> are
> >>> >>> >> waiting to be committed, I'm not sure if forking on
this Friday
> is
> >>> >>> >> realistic.
> >>> >>> >>
> >>> >>> >> HIVE-9726 is part of the merge (HIVE-10347) which
is also in the
> >>> queue.
> >>> >>> >>
> >>> >>> >> Thanks,
> >>> >>> >> Xuefu
> >>> >>> >>
> >>> >>> >> On Wed, Apr 22, 2015 at 9:55 AM, Sushanth Sowmyan
<
> >>> khorgath@gmail.com>
> >>> >>> >> wrote:
> >>> >>> >>
> >>> >>> >> > @Lefty :
> >>> >>> >> >
> >>> >>> >> > Yup, I've been following the other thread and
> >>> >>> >> > https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-9488
- I think
> >>> that'll
> >>> >>> >> > stabilize before we fork. I'll definitely wait
for it, but
> also
> >>> wanted
> >>> >>> >> > to do a reminder/call-for-patches before it.
:)
> >>> >>> >> >
> >>> >>> >> > @Youngwoo:
> >>> >>> >> >
> >>> >>> >> > Thanks, I'll add that to the tracker. I do not
see a commit
> on it
> >>> in
> >>> >>> >> > trunk for it, so I'll ping Brock on that bug
to see if it's
> >>> included
> >>> >>> >> > through some other jira on trunk.
> >>> >>> >> >
> >>> >>> >> >
> >>> >>> >> >
> >>> >>> >> > On Tue, Apr 21, 2015 at 10:58 PM, 김영우 <warwithin@gmail.com>
> >>> wrote:
> >>> >>> >> > > Hi,
> >>> >>> >> > >
> >>> >>> >> > > I would like to add a request for support
Spark 1.3,
> HIVE-9726.
> >>> >>> >> Currently
> >>> >>> >> > > Apache Bigtop includes Spark 1.3 and we
ran into a
> compatibility
> >>> >>> issue
> >>> >>> >> > for
> >>> >>> >> > > Hive 1.1+.
> >>> >>> >> > > The issue have been resolved on 'spark-branch'
 but could
> not
> >>> find a
> >>> >>> >> 'fix
> >>> >>> >> > > version' for it. I hope that the fix merge
into release 1.2.
> >>> >>> >> > >
> >>> >>> >> > > Thanks,
> >>> >>> >> > > Youngwoo
> >>> >>> >> > >
> >>> >>> >> > > On Wed, Apr 22, 2015 at 12:33 PM, Sushanth
Sowmyan <
> >>> >>> khorgath@gmail.com
> >>> >>> >> >
> >>> >>> >> > > wrote:
> >>> >>> >> > >
> >>> >>> >> > >> Hi Folks,
> >>> >>> >> > >>
> >>> >>> >> > >> Per my mail 3 weeks back, we should
start getting ready to
> >>> release
> >>> >>> 1.2
> >>> >>> >> > >> as a rollup. And as per my proposal
to manage this
> release, I'd
> >>> >>> like
> >>> >>> >> > >> to start off the process of forking
1.2, and making trunk
> 1.3.
> >>> >>> >> > >>
> >>> >>> >> > >> I've set up a cwiki page for people
to land development
> patches
> >>> >>> that
> >>> >>> >> > >> are almost done, to signal their desire
that this be
> included
> >>> in
> >>> >>> 1.2 :
> >>> >>> >> > >>
> >>> >>> >> >
> >>> >>>
> >>>
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/Hive/Hive+1.2+Release+Status
> >>> >>> >> > >>
> >>> >>> >> > >> A rough timeline I see for this process
would be to fork
> this
> >>> >>> Friday
> >>> >>> >> > >> (24th Apr), and then start rolling out
RC0 by, say,
> Wednesday
> >>> next
> >>> >>> >> > >> week. This would mean that I would request
that if you want
> >>> your
> >>> >>> jira
> >>> >>> >> > >> included in 1.2, it be close to completion,
or have a patch
> >>> >>> available
> >>> >>> >> > >> for review. By mid next week, also,
I expect to freeze the
> wiki
> >>> >>> >> > >> inclusion list for features, and keep
it open only for
> bugfixes
> >>> >>> >> > >> discovered during testing the various
RCs.
> >>> >>> >> > >>
> >>> >>> >> > >> Please feel free to edit that jira with
your requests, or,
> if
> >>> you
> >>> >>> >> > >> don't have edit privileges, if you reply
to this mail, I
> can
> >>> add it
> >>> >>> >> > >> in. (Also, if you don't have wiki edit
privileges, you
> should
> >>> >>> probably
> >>> >>> >> > >> ask for it. :p)
> >>> >>> >> > >>
> >>> >>> >> > >> Thanks!
> >>> >>> >> > >> -Sushanth
> >>> >>> >> > >>
> >>> >>> >> >
> >>> >>> >>
> >>> >>>
> >>>
>

Mime
  • Unnamed multipart/alternative (inline, None, 0 bytes)
View raw message