hive-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Thejas Nair <thejas.n...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Preparation for Hive-1.2 release
Date Sun, 26 Apr 2015 08:59:50 GMT
Created 1.3.0 version in jira.
As Sushanth mentioned, please use this fix version for changes being
committed to trunk only.


On Sat, Apr 25, 2015 at 2:53 AM, Sushanth Sowmyan <khorgath@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> branch-1.2 is now created, and master has been bumped to 1.3.0-SNAPSHOT.
>
> Carl/Thejas, I do not have permissions to create a new unreleased
> version number for 1.3.0 on jira - could one of you please create this
> so any new resolved jiras can be marked with this instead?
>
> Everyone else : Once this jira version is created, please use fix
> version = 1.3.0 for any jiras you resolve in master.
>
> Also, please refer to
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/Hive/Hive+1.2+Release+Status
> for a proposed timeline of how I expect release candidates and the
> list for jira inclusion is intended to go for this release.
>
> Thanks!
> -Sushanth
>
>
> On Fri, Apr 24, 2015 at 5:21 PM, Sushanth Sowmyan <khorgath@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Thanks, Szehon! Next week should be good.
>>
>> On Fri, Apr 24, 2015 at 2:17 PM, Szehon Ho <szehon@cloudera.com> wrote:
>>>>
>>>> Szehon, once we have a separate branch, would it be okay to set up a
>>>> nightly test run on that branch?
>>>
>>>
>>> Yea should be ok, one of us could look at that next week.
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>> Szehon
>>>
>>> On Fri, Apr 24, 2015 at 1:25 PM, Sushanth Sowmyan <khorgath@gmail.com>
>>> wrote:
>>>
>>>> Hi All,
>>>>
>>>> I'd like to send along a last reminder people to add any jiras that
>>>> people want included in 1.2 to
>>>> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/Hive/Hive+1.2+Release+Status
>>>> or reply to this mail with any further requests for inclusions.
>>>>
>>>> As it currently stands, even though we did have a couple of days of
>>>> issues with the svn->git merge, and getting precommit tests working
>>>> again (thanks Szehon/Sergio!), it looks like the big patches in that
>>>> list are now in trunk, and the remaining ones are easy enough to
>>>> dual-merge. If there are no further feature requests for inclusions,
>>>> then I intend to lock the jira for feature inclusions by Monday, and
>>>> then allow only bugfixes to be requested for inclusions.
>>>>
>>>> With the list of jiras as it stands currently, I think we should be
>>>> able to go ahead with creating a branch tonight (midnight PDT), file a
>>>> jira to update master to 1.3, and have that resolved by Monday.
>>>>
>>>> Szehon, once we have a separate branch, would it be okay to set up a
>>>> nightly test run on that branch?
>>>>
>>>> Then, on Monday, I'll start working on rolling out an RC0, so that we
>>>> can have an RC0 out by Wednesday.
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> On Wed, Apr 22, 2015 at 4:01 PM, Thejas Nair <thejas.nair@gmail.com>
>>>> wrote:
>>>> > The Apache Accumulo project has written a nice doc on git use
>>>> > reccomendations for their project based on experiences in Accumulo and
>>>> > a similar Kafka document -
>>>> > http://accumulo.apache.org/git.html. It describes the options for
>>>> > committing feature branches as well. I propose using that as the
>>>> > current hive git usage recommendation for now (until we feel a need
to
>>>> > do things differently).
>>>> >
>>>> > I think we should update
>>>> > https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/Hive/HowToContribute page
>>>> > to include this link. Any volunteers ?
>>>> >
>>>> > Thanks,
>>>> > Thejas
>>>> >
>>>> >
>>>> > On Wed, Apr 22, 2015 at 2:37 PM, Szehon Ho <szehon@cloudera.com>
wrote:
>>>> >> Thanks Sushanth.  Yes, blind applying the patch would work, but
I
>>>> believe
>>>> >> it is a little more involved to keep the history (git merge, rebase,
>>>> >> resolve, test, etc).
>>>> >>
>>>> >> I am doing the merge process again this time in git and regenerated
>>>> what is
>>>> >> hopefully an equivalent patch, hopefully I can get it done soon.
>>>> >>
>>>> >> Thanks,
>>>> >> Szehon
>>>> >>
>>>> >> On Wed, Apr 22, 2015 at 1:33 PM, Sushanth Sowmyan <khorgath@gmail.com>
>>>> >> wrote:
>>>> >>
>>>> >>> Hi Szehon,
>>>> >>>
>>>> >>> Sergey tells me that he's verifying the repos, and expects to
unblock
>>>> >>> it in another 20 minutes or so. I think that if HIVE-10347 is
ready
>>>> >>> for commit now to svn, it should be committable to git as well,
as-is
>>>> >>> as soon as that comes back up. In that scenario, there's no
extra need
>>>> >>> to learn how to do merges in git, since I would expect this
to be
>>>> >>> ready before then. If the .patch file uploaded on HIVE-10347
applies
>>>> >>> appropriately on svn, then there should be no issues applying
it to
>>>> >>> git. I can help there too, if that helps.
>>>> >>>
>>>> >>> Also, I think forking is not that drastic a measure in git as
it is in
>>>> >>> svn, and merges are a bit easier to manage under git. I would
still
>>>> >>> like to go ahead with a friday/weekend fork, and allow people
to
>>>> >>> continue submitting patches for inclusion up until we roll out
an RC0,
>>>> >>> and then lock it for bugfixes. (Note : If there are any other
jiras
>>>> >>> you are working on that you want to see in this release, please
go add
>>>> >>> it to that wiki list :
>>>> >>>
>>>> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/Hive/Hive+1.2+Release+Status
>>>> >>> )
>>>> >>>
>>>> >>> I would like to avoid a long-tail process as happened for 0.12.0
&
>>>> >>> 0.13.0 if possible. This way, I think we'll have more time for
>>>> >>> testing/solidifying.
>>>> >>>
>>>> >>> Thanks,
>>>> >>> -Sushanth
>>>> >>>
>>>> >>> P.S: Also, for additional reference, from the svn->git thread,
>>>> >>> http://accumulo.apache.org/git.html is a good quick reference.
>>>> >>>
>>>> >>> On Wed, Apr 22, 2015 at 11:31 AM, Szehon Ho <szehon@cloudera.com>
>>>> wrote:
>>>> >>> > Yes, I don't think it is fair to fork it this week, the
change in
>>>> >>> question
>>>> >>> > HIVE-10347 was reviewed and waiting 24 hours, but then
svn repo is
>>>> >>> suddenly
>>>> >>> > locked, and now the merge process has to be done again
in git?  I
>>>> would
>>>> >>> > vote to push it back one week to give everyone a chance
to figure
>>>> this
>>>> >>> out,
>>>> >>> > like how to do merges now.
>>>> >>> >
>>>> >>> > Thanks
>>>> >>> > Szehon
>>>> >>> >
>>>> >>> >
>>>> >>> >
>>>> >>> > On Wed, Apr 22, 2015 at 11:10 AM, Xuefu Zhang <xzhang@cloudera.com>
>>>> >>> wrote:
>>>> >>> >
>>>> >>> >> Since the svn repo is locked for git migration and
a queue of
>>>> patches
>>>> >>> are
>>>> >>> >> waiting to be committed, I'm not sure if forking on
this Friday is
>>>> >>> >> realistic.
>>>> >>> >>
>>>> >>> >> HIVE-9726 is part of the merge (HIVE-10347) which is
also in the
>>>> queue.
>>>> >>> >>
>>>> >>> >> Thanks,
>>>> >>> >> Xuefu
>>>> >>> >>
>>>> >>> >> On Wed, Apr 22, 2015 at 9:55 AM, Sushanth Sowmyan <
>>>> khorgath@gmail.com>
>>>> >>> >> wrote:
>>>> >>> >>
>>>> >>> >> > @Lefty :
>>>> >>> >> >
>>>> >>> >> > Yup, I've been following the other thread and
>>>> >>> >> > https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-9488
- I think
>>>> that'll
>>>> >>> >> > stabilize before we fork. I'll definitely wait
for it, but also
>>>> wanted
>>>> >>> >> > to do a reminder/call-for-patches before it. :)
>>>> >>> >> >
>>>> >>> >> > @Youngwoo:
>>>> >>> >> >
>>>> >>> >> > Thanks, I'll add that to the tracker. I do not
see a commit on it
>>>> in
>>>> >>> >> > trunk for it, so I'll ping Brock on that bug to
see if it's
>>>> included
>>>> >>> >> > through some other jira on trunk.
>>>> >>> >> >
>>>> >>> >> >
>>>> >>> >> >
>>>> >>> >> > On Tue, Apr 21, 2015 at 10:58 PM, 김영우 <warwithin@gmail.com>
>>>> wrote:
>>>> >>> >> > > Hi,
>>>> >>> >> > >
>>>> >>> >> > > I would like to add a request for support
Spark 1.3, HIVE-9726.
>>>> >>> >> Currently
>>>> >>> >> > > Apache Bigtop includes Spark 1.3 and we ran
into a compatibility
>>>> >>> issue
>>>> >>> >> > for
>>>> >>> >> > > Hive 1.1+.
>>>> >>> >> > > The issue have been resolved on 'spark-branch'
 but could not
>>>> find a
>>>> >>> >> 'fix
>>>> >>> >> > > version' for it. I hope that the fix merge
into release 1.2.
>>>> >>> >> > >
>>>> >>> >> > > Thanks,
>>>> >>> >> > > Youngwoo
>>>> >>> >> > >
>>>> >>> >> > > On Wed, Apr 22, 2015 at 12:33 PM, Sushanth
Sowmyan <
>>>> >>> khorgath@gmail.com
>>>> >>> >> >
>>>> >>> >> > > wrote:
>>>> >>> >> > >
>>>> >>> >> > >> Hi Folks,
>>>> >>> >> > >>
>>>> >>> >> > >> Per my mail 3 weeks back, we should start
getting ready to
>>>> release
>>>> >>> 1.2
>>>> >>> >> > >> as a rollup. And as per my proposal to
manage this release, I'd
>>>> >>> like
>>>> >>> >> > >> to start off the process of forking 1.2,
and making trunk 1.3.
>>>> >>> >> > >>
>>>> >>> >> > >> I've set up a cwiki page for people to
land development patches
>>>> >>> that
>>>> >>> >> > >> are almost done, to signal their desire
that this be included
>>>> in
>>>> >>> 1.2 :
>>>> >>> >> > >>
>>>> >>> >> >
>>>> >>>
>>>> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/Hive/Hive+1.2+Release+Status
>>>> >>> >> > >>
>>>> >>> >> > >> A rough timeline I see for this process
would be to fork this
>>>> >>> Friday
>>>> >>> >> > >> (24th Apr), and then start rolling out
RC0 by, say, Wednesday
>>>> next
>>>> >>> >> > >> week. This would mean that I would request
that if you want
>>>> your
>>>> >>> jira
>>>> >>> >> > >> included in 1.2, it be close to completion,
or have a patch
>>>> >>> available
>>>> >>> >> > >> for review. By mid next week, also, I
expect to freeze the wiki
>>>> >>> >> > >> inclusion list for features, and keep
it open only for bugfixes
>>>> >>> >> > >> discovered during testing the various
RCs.
>>>> >>> >> > >>
>>>> >>> >> > >> Please feel free to edit that jira with
your requests, or, if
>>>> you
>>>> >>> >> > >> don't have edit privileges, if you reply
to this mail, I can
>>>> add it
>>>> >>> >> > >> in. (Also, if you don't have wiki edit
privileges, you should
>>>> >>> probably
>>>> >>> >> > >> ask for it. :p)
>>>> >>> >> > >>
>>>> >>> >> > >> Thanks!
>>>> >>> >> > >> -Sushanth
>>>> >>> >> > >>
>>>> >>> >> >
>>>> >>> >>
>>>> >>>
>>>>

Mime
View raw message