hive-dev mailing list archives

From "Lalam, Chinna R" <chinna.r.la...@intel.com>
Subject RE: ORC separate project
Date Mon, 23 Mar 2015 06:16:33 GMT
Hi Owen,

I'd like to get involved.  Please add me as well.

Thanks,
Chinna Rao Lalam

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Owen O'Malley <omalley@apache.org<mailto:omalley@apache.org>>
Date: Fri, Mar 20, 2015 at 3:14 AM
Subject: ORC separate project
To: "dev@hive.apache.org<mailto:dev@hive.apache.org>" <dev@hive.apache.org<mailto:dev@hive.apache.org>>,
Lefty Leverenz <leftyleverenz@gmail.com<mailto:leftyleverenz@gmail.com>>

All,
   Over the last year, there has been a fair number of projects that want
to integrate with ORC, but don't want a dependence on Hive's exec jar.
Additionally, we've been working on a C++ reader (and soon writer) and it
would be great to host them both in the same project. Toward that end, I'd
like to create a separate ORC project at Apache. There will be lots of
technical details to work out, but I wanted to give the Hive community a
chance to discuss it. Do any of the Hive committers want to be included on
the proposal?

Of the current Hive committers, my list looks like:
* Alan
* Gunther
* Prasanth
* Lefty