hive-dev mailing list archives

From Thejas Nair <the...@hortonworks.com>
Subject Re: Created branch 1.0
Date Thu, 22 Jan 2015 08:27:31 GMT
On Wed, Jan 21, 2015 at 7:09 PM, Brock Noland <brock@cloudera.com> wrote:

> Sorry about the confusion. That link misses the content to which I was
> replying. I agree that 1.0 should be stable, but that does not mean that I
> agree that 1.0 should come from 0.14.

For a stable release, we would need to go through an extended period
of maturing. Which is why creating it based on 0.14 is ideal.

>  Furthermore
> 1.0 should be created from trunk and be a superset of previous releases.

I agree that 1.0 should be a super set of previous releases. That is
what will happen with this proposal - 1.0 will be a super set of most
recent release (0.14).
Regarding release from trunk, in the 3+ years I have been involved
with Hive, I have never seen a release from trunk, we always branch
from trunk, stabilize and release from the branch. Trunk keeps going
ahead with more changes while the release process is going on.

>From a user perspective, 0.14 is being followed by 1.0 , which has
additional fixes over 1.0 and some features being deprecated. I don't
see why this is confusing.

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE