hive-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From "Brock Noland (JIRA)" <j...@apache.org>
Subject [jira] [Commented] (HIVE-5865) AvroDeserializer incorrectly assumes keys to Maps will always be of type 'org.apache.avro.util.Utf8'
Date Tue, 07 Oct 2014 22:28:37 GMT

    [ https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HIVE-5865?page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel&focusedCommentId=14162690#comment-14162690
] 

Brock Noland commented on HIVE-5865:
------------------------------------

I think a release note is appropriate... Added!

> AvroDeserializer incorrectly assumes keys to Maps will always be of type 'org.apache.avro.util.Utf8'
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
>                 Key: HIVE-5865
>                 URL: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HIVE-5865
>             Project: Hive
>          Issue Type: Bug
>    Affects Versions: 0.11.0, 0.12.0, 0.13.0
>            Reporter: Ben Roling
>            Assignee: Ben Roling
>             Fix For: 0.15.0
>
>         Attachments: HIVE-5865-v2.patch, HIVE-5865.2.patch, HIVE-5865.2.patch, HIVE-5865.patch
>
>
> AvroDeserializer. deserializeMap() incorrectly assumes the type of they keys will always
be 'org.apache.avro.util.Utf8'.  If the reader schema defines "avro.java.string"="String",
this assumption does not hold, resulting in a ClassCastException.
> I think a simple fix would be to define 'mapDatum' with type Map<CharSequence,Object>
instead of Map<Utf8,Object>.  Assuming the key has the more general type of 'CharSequence'
avoids the need to make an assumption of either String or Utf8.
> I discovered the issue when using Hive 0.11.0.  Looking at the tags it is also there
is in 0.12.0 and trunk:
> https://github.com/apache/hive/blob/99f5bfcdf64330d062a30c0c9d83be1fbee54c34/serde/src/java/org/apache/hadoop/hive/serde2/avro/AvroDeserializer.java#L313
> The reason I saw this issue was because I pointed my Hive table to a schema file I populated
based on pulling the schema from the SCHEMA$ attribute of an Avro generated Java class and
I used stringType=String in the configuration of the avro-maven-plugin when generating my
Java classes.
> If I alter the schema my Hive table points to such that it doesn't have the "avro.java.string"
attribute on my "map" type objects then queries work fine but if I leave those in there I
get the ClassCastException anytime I try to query the table.



--
This message was sent by Atlassian JIRA
(v6.3.4#6332)

Mime
View raw message