hive-dev mailing list archives

From Sean McNamara <Sean.McNam...@Webtrends.com>
Subject Re: GC/OOM fix when writing large/many columns
Date Tue, 14 Oct 2014 19:57:15 GMT
Gopal and Prasanth-

Thanks for the info guys.   My particular table has ~300 columns, so https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HIVE-7250
was not kicking in for me.   I set hive.exec.orc.default.buffer.size to 32k and ensured hive.optimize.sort.dynamic.partition=true
and things are flying for me now.

Thanks!!

Sean

On Oct 14, 2014, at 12:16 PM, Prasanth Jayachandran <pjayachandran@hortonworks.com<mailto:pjayachandran@hortonworks.com>>
wrote:

On Oct 14, 2014, at 10:34 AM, Gopal V <gopalv@apache.org<mailto:gopalv@apache.org>>
wrote:

On 10/13/14, 10:53 PM, Sean McNamara wrote:

I’ve found a condition where the MemoryManager will wait too long before notifying writers
to check their memory and flush.
This issue affects anyone who is writing a lot of columns, very large columns, or worst of
all: both. I have tested and confirmed this issue on hive 0.12, 0.13, and trunk.

Can you post the exact query, because this OOM is in my list of already fixed performance
issues (HIVE-6455).

I have tested Hive-13 partitioned inserts with just "insert into table select *" for both
30Tb of data and 10,000 columns.

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HIVE-7250 adaptively chooses compression buffer size
for ORC based on number of columns and available memory to further reduce memory pressure.
This code path will kick-in only for >1000 columns.

This issue happens in hive-12 & before, which keeps too many ORC files open at the same
time.

If you are on hive-13 or later, setting the config option hive.optimize.sort.dynamic.partition=true;
should fix this issue.

This follows a path within the FileSinkOperator which keeps exactly 1 stripe open at any given
time, so that the this always works correctly assuming the orc.stripe.size fits within memory.

The issue is on line 50: ROWS_BETWEEN_CHECKS = 5000;

For large or many columns it’s easy to hit GC issues or OOM before 5k rows are written.

I believe that rows-between-checks should be made a configuration parameter that can be passed
in on the JobConf.

5000 rows is probably the wrong thing to check, for sure - but it is a sane default. Perhaps
instead it could check between every stride index being written (which is every 10,000 rows)
or some fraction of it.

But that check produces bad ORC files and still doesn't fix the actual issue - this is merely
postponing the inevitable.

Let me describe the errors I hit before we had the sort.partition implementation.

At multiple terabyte scale, the next error you will hit will be an HDFS Lease Expired exception,
then the system runs out of file handles and after that it runs of stack for DFSOutputStream
threads.

Even if you don't go that far, the memory manager doesn't slice memory all the way down to
a single row. The minimum size of a stripe is num-cols * compress-size, we can't shrink the
stripe size below that.

The trouble is that with tiny stripes of less than 1Mb, the read-path suffers heavily, the
split generation becomes incredibly expensive and the inter-stripe padding becomes a significant
fraction of the HDFS space used (upto 47% of space will be padding).

So you can submit a patch for the JobConf to work around this, but it will generate sub-optimal
ORC files.

The scalable & logically correct fix is already there in Hive, you have to make sure the
config option is on.

FYI, the Hive plan we generate corresponds to an MRv2 example which combines LazyOutputFormat
with MultipleOutputs to produce similar results.

Not sure if a similar option exists in Pig.

Cheers,
Gopal

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE