hive-dev mailing list archives

From Sushanth Sowmyan <khorg...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Apache Hive 0.13.1
Date Thu, 08 May 2014 21:26:21 GMT
Hi folks,

As an update, HIVE-6945 has some 0.13.1 specific test fixes appended
which make its tests pass, the test that was failing with HIVE-6826 is
now succeeding(flaky test), and Thejas has confirmed with me that the
issue with HIVE-6846 is a test problem, not a product problem,
relating to an incorrect expectation in the test.

With those resolved, there are no more blockers, and no additional
jiras that have been requested to be part of this release, so I'll go
ahead and spin out RC0 now, and will also commit all those patches to
the 0.13 branch. :)

On Wed, May 7, 2014 at 7:22 PM, Sushanth Sowmyan <khorgath@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
>>
>> http://people.apache.org/~khorgath/releases/0.13.1_RC0/relprep.pl
>> http://people.apache.org/~khorgath/releases/0.13.1_RC0/requested_jiras
>>
>> This is the script and config file I'm using to generate this release.
>>
>> It's very much a hack right now, and I hope to improve it to
>> streamline releases in the future, but how it can be used right now is
>> this way:
>>
>> a) Put it in a hive git repo (and not have any changes that have not
>> been committed - this script will checkout a new branch and commit
>> things to that branch, so you want to make sure to have a clean repo)
>> b) Put the file requested_jiras in that dir as well.
>> c) Run the script from there.
>>
>> It will check the differences between the branch being released
>> ("branch-0.13" is hardcoded currently as a global), and looks at all
>> the commit logs in trunk that correspond to the jiras requested in the
>> requested_jiras file, sorts them in the order they were committed, and
>> then checks out a new branch called relprep-branch-0.13-<timestamp>,
>> and attempts to cherry-pick those commits in.
>>
>> For some patches, this will not work, so there is an override
>> mechanism provided by entries in the requested_jiras file, as can be
>> observed in the file I mention above.
>>
>> At the end of it, you'll have your 0.13.1 repo reproduction to test
>> against if you so desire.
>>
>> Known Bugs :
>>
>> a) I use system("....") or die "...";, which is faulty in that the
>> "die" code will never be reached. I need to fix this, but all the
>> system calls were working for me, and I'd much rather focus on the
>> release now, and improve this script later. This is a TODO
>> b) Some patches (those generated with --no-prefix) don't work with
>> older versions of git. You'll need a 1.8.x git for them, or you have
>> to generate git patches without --no-prefix.
>>

>> On Tue, May 6, 2014 at 6:21 PM, Sushanth Sowmyan <khorgath@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Hi Folks,
>>>
>>> After a run of the ptest framework across the 0.13.1 codebase, we have
>>> a couple of test failures that I'm trying to track down and resolve.
>>>
>>> If any of you are interested in looking at it on your own in the
>>> meanwhile, the conglomerate patch of all the patches I'm forward
>>> porting into 0.13.1 is over at
>>> http://people.apache.org/~khorgath/releases/0.13.1_RC0/0.13.1.gdiff.patch
>>>
>>> The current tests that are failing are as follows:
>>>
>>> org.apache.hadoop.hive.cli.TestCliDriver.testCliDriver_nullformatCTAS
>>> org.apache.hadoop.hive.cli.TestCliDriver.testCliDriver_show_create_table_alter
>>> org.apache.hadoop.hive.cli.TestCliDriver.testCliDriver_show_tblproperties
>>> org.apache.hadoop.hive.cli.TestCliDriver.testCliDriver_unset_table_view_property
>>> org.apache.hadoop.hive.cli.TestNegativeCliDriver.testNegativeCliDriver_unset_table_property
>>> org.apache.hive.service.cli.TestScratchDir.testLocalScratchDirs
>>>
>>> I'll update and follow up with patch devs as and when I find out the

jiras by adding it to the
prevent an endless-tail
add it to the list. That

on Monday May 5th at 6pm
to open/easy additions at

other 3. My bad.

Hagleitner <

Tez fixes:

Sushanth Sowmyan <

from today, but 0.13 has already
having an RC1 out on May 5th. If
then we can deal with them in an

AM, Thejas Nair <
AM, Sushanth Sowmyan <

to get a bugfix/stabilization release
it's also important to give people a
discover/report bugs and fix them. So I
good point? And instead of releasing an RC
of pushing it out to Monday - does 12th May

earlier date. Most of these issues seem
or have patches available. So the
to trunk by early next week. How about
been out for 2 weeks. If we have any