hive-dev mailing list archives

From Thejas M Nair <thejas.n...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Timeline for the Hive 0.13 release?
Date Wed, 09 Apr 2014 19:08:17 GMT
HIVE-6037 is developer facing change and not really a user facing change. It helps to ensure
that new commits keep HiveConf.java and hive-site.xml in sync.

As we don't expect much activity to go on branch-0.13 given where we are(specially new config
params), I think we can just focus on getting it in trunk soon.

I think we can just update the hive-site.xml for 0.13 for missing config parameters. Lefty,
would you be able to help with that ?

Shall we try to get the patch in sometime this week or next into trunk ? Navis, would you
be able help rebasing the patch ?

Thanks,
Thejas

On Wednesday, April 9, 2014 1:15 AM, Lefty Leverenz <leftyleverenz@gmail.com> wrote:

> how much effort it would take to do HIVE-6586

One day of concentrated effort, but call it two days just in case I'm not concentrating.  (Spring
fever on the East Coast, where spring is a big deal.)

> Regarding the missing params in hive-default:

I can take care of that, thanks -- I've been flagging them in the mailing list.  But if you
have a good way to check, let's both do it.

> What will it take to rebase.

That's a question for Navis.  I was assuming we would stick with the current patch and HIVE-6586
would update HiveConf.java.

> Wasn’t it reverted from the 0.13 branch? Don’t recall the reason for this. Is that
issue resolved now?

Yes, there was a build issue (see Feb. 18th comments) and AFAIK the issue is resolved now
(see comments on Feb. 23, Feb. 25, and Feb. 26-a ... but also Feb. 26-b, Feb. 27, and March
12's patch for 0.13.0 -- I had to add ".txt" for missing line breaks).

Thanks.

-- Lefty

On Wed, Apr 9, 2014 at 2:49 AM, Harish Butani <hbutani@hortonworks.com> wrote:

Lefty, good point.
>I was assuming 6037 is not going into 0.13.  Wasn’t it reverted from the 0.13 branch?
>Don’t recall the reason for this. Is that issue resolved now?
>The last patch is from March 12th. What will it take to rebase.
>
>Seems safer to keep out of 0.13 and manually add the missing params.
>But I will let the experts weigh in.
>Regarding the missing params in hive-default: will try to get  you the missing ones by
tomorrow.
>If we decide to go with adding 6037 to 0.13: do you have a sense of how much effort it
would take to do HIVE-6586.

>regards,
>Harish.
>
>On Apr 8, 2014, at 11:02 PM, Lefty Leverenz <leftyleverenz@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> What about HIVE-6037 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HIVE-6037>
>
>> (Synchronize
>> HiveConf with hive-default.xml.template and support show conf) and its
>> followup HIVE-6586 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HIVE-6586>?
>

>> Some new configs probably don't have definitions in
>> hive-defaul.xml.template because I've been telling people not to bother
>> with the template file, since it's going to be generated from HiveConf.java
>> soon.  So if HIVE-6037 and -6586 aren't in 0.13.0, I'll have to create
>> another jira for 0.13.0 to patch the template file.
>>
>> But if HIVE-6037 is in 0.13.0, then I have a fair amount of work to do on
>> HIVE-6586 -- otherwise several new configs won't be in HiveConf.java.
>>
>> -- Lefty
>>

>> On Wed, Apr 9, 2014 at 1:33 AM, Harish Butani <hbutani@hortonworks.com>wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> We are getting close to having all the issues resolved.
>>> I have the following list of open jiras as needing to go into 0.13
>>> 6863, 5687, 6604,6850,6818,6732,4904,5376, and 6319.
>>>
>>> These are all close to being committed. Some are waiting for the 24hr
>>> period, a couple have been reviewed and +1ed, waiting for tests to pass.
>>>
>>> So lets shoot for closing out all these issues by Thursday 12pm PST.
>>> Would like to cut an rc by Thursday afternoon.
>>>
>>> regards,
>>> Harish.

>>> feature HIVE-6455 added as part of 0.13.
>>> bucketing)
>>> generation)

>>> thejas@hortonworks.com>

NPE