hive-dev mailing list archives

From Thejas Nair <the...@hortonworks.com>
Subject Re: Dot syntax for DESCRIBE in wiki
Date Wed, 12 Mar 2014 09:44:19 GMT
On Wed, Mar 12, 2014 at 2:16 AM, Lefty Leverenz <leftyleverenz@gmail.com>wrote:

> The wiki gives this syntax for
> DESCRIBE<
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/Hive/LanguageManual+DDL#LanguageManualDDL-DescribeTable/View/Column
> >
>  table/view/column:
> DESCRIBE [EXTENDED|FORMATTED] [db_name.]table_name[DOT col_name
> ( [DOT field_name] | [DOT '$elem$'] | [DOT '$key$'] | [DOT '$value$'] )* ]
> This is the only syntax with DOT, but apparently DOT just means "." or
> perhaps it's a valid alternative to an actual dot.  What's the story here?
>  Is this something everybody knows except me?

DOT is just "." .  We should certainly make it consistent to avoid
confusion.

Yes, DOT is also optional now, but I am not a fan of that syntax. It has
made it almost impossible
to extend describe statements to other commands, as you can see from
HIVE-5931<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HIVE-5931?page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel&focusedCommentId=13924779#comment-13924779>
.
Lets just document the syntax with DOT for now. That way it be easier to
fix the syntax later if we choose to.

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE