hive-dev mailing list archives

From Sanjay Subramanian <>
Subject Re: Interesting claims that seem untrue
Date Thu, 12 Sep 2013 17:52:02 GMT
I have not read the full blogs but in the year 2013 , IMHO , LOC is a very old metric that
defines good software any more...

From: Edward Capriolo <<>>
Date: Thursday, September 12, 2013 7:19 AM
To: "<>" <<>>,
"<<>>" <<>>
Subject: Interesting claims that seem untrue

I was reading the horton-works blog and found an interesting article.

There is a very interesting graphic which attempts to demonstrate lines of code in the 12

Although I do not know how they are calculated, they are probably counting code generated
by tests output, but besides that they are wrong.

One claim is that Cloudera contributed 4,244 lines of code.

So to debunk that claim:

In Brock Noland from cloudera, created the
ptest2 testing framework. He did all the work for ptest2 in hive 12, and it is clearly more
then 4,244

This consists of 84 java files
[edward@desksandra ptest2]$ find . -name "*.java" | wc -l
and by itself is 8001 lines of code.
[edward@desksandra ptest2]$ find . -name "*.java" | xargs cat | wc -l

[edward@desksandra hive-trunk]$ wc -l HIVE-4675.patch
7902 HIVE-4675.patch

This is not the only feature from cloudera in hive 12.

There is also a section of the article that talks of a "ROAD MAP" for hive features. I did
not know we (hive) had a road map. I have advocated switching to feature based release and
having a road map before, but it was suggested that might limit people from itch-scratching.