hive-dev mailing list archives

From Alan Gates <>
Subject Re: Tez branch and tez based patches
Date Wed, 17 Jul 2013 21:41:59 GMT

On Jul 17, 2013, at 1:41 PM, Edward Capriolo wrote:

> "In my opinion we should limit the amount of tez related optimizations to
> and trunk" Refactoring that cleans up code is good, but as you have pointed
> out there wont be a tez release until sometime this fall, and this branch
> will be open for an extended period of time. Thus code cleanups and other
> tez related refactoring does not need to be disruptive to trunk.

I agree with this, though I suspect people will end up arguing about the meaning of "code
cleanup" and "disruptive".  In my discussions with Gunther he said he was doing code cleanup
and it was not disruptive.  You obviously disagreed.  I've already suggested that any future
patches that break lots of others should have their checkin preceded by a few hours notice
that the patch will break things so others can say something if they are about to check in
too.  I'd also be interested to hear from Gunther how much more general cleanup he feels is
necessary on trunk.

> I have another relevant question, which I already probably know the answer
> to, but I will ask it anyway.
> Because tez is a YARN application, does this mean that Tez will be the
> first hive feature that will require YARN? (It seems like the answer is yes)

Yes, it will only work in the Hadoop 2.x world.  So obviously all this work needs to be done
in a way that still allows Hive to use the MR execution engine in the Hadoop 1.x world.

View raw message