hive-dev mailing list archives

From Steve Hoffman <>
Subject plugable partitioning
Date Mon, 15 Apr 2013 14:45:27 GMT
Looking for some pointers on where the partitioning is figured out in the
source when a query is executed.
I'm investigating an alternative partitioning scheme based on date patterns
(using external tables).

The situation is that I have data being written to some HDFS root directory
with some dated pattern (i.e. YYYY/MM/DD).  Today I have to run an alter
table to insert this partition every day.  It gets worse if you have hourly
partitions.  This seems like it can be described once (root + date
partition pattern in the metastore).

So looking for some pointers on where in the code this is currently handled.