hive-dev mailing list archives

From "Stephen R. Scaffidi" <>
Subject Re: Possible patch to fix column comments with non-native SerDe
Date Tue, 07 Aug 2012 14:21:55 GMT
So, the patch doesn not seem to fix the problem we are having, but it
combined with the one I sent to the list seems to take care of it. I
will continue to study this issue and report back on any issues.

Thanks again!

On 08/06/2012 06:59 PM, Stephen Scaffid wrote:
> Thanks! I'll see how it goes!
> (better yet, this could be what it takes to convince the team to upgrade!)
> On Aug 6, 2012, at 6:47 PM, Jakob Homan wrote:
>> This was fixed in Hive 8 (  Can
you just apply that patch?
>> On Mon, Aug 6, 2012 at 2:15 PM, Stephen R. Scaffidi <>
>> My team and I have been trying, with limited success, to use the COMMENT feature
of hive columns to maintain documentation for the tables and columns in our data-warehouse
built on hive. However, we use a number of custom and non-native SerDes, and what happens
to those tables is that the comments always get overwritten with the string "from deserializer".
>> I've possibly found a way to work around this from within hive but I want to get
some insight from the hive-dev community to figure out whether or not this is a patently bad
idea and we are just setting ourselves up for pain later on.
>> I won't go into all the details but it seems to work in our (so far) limited testing.
However, we are using hive 0.7.1 and the patch I am sending is against master/HEAD.
>> Please let me know if this is an acceptable approach to preserving column comments
with non-native SerDes or not!

View raw message